WHAT IS THE GLOBAL ORGANIC LATEX STANDARD?Updated 4 months ago
DOES SPINDLE USE GOLS CERTIFIED ORGANIC LATEX?
Yes. We only use GOLS certified organic latex in our mattresses. GOLS is the Global Organic Latex Standard, and it ensures that our latex is sourced sustainably and without harmful chemicals.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ABOUT GOLS.
As the world becomes more and more conscious of the importance of sustainability, there is an increasing demand for products that are environmentally friendly. One such product is latex, which is derived from rubber trees. Latex is a versatile material that can be used in a variety of applications, from tires to balloons and our case mattresses. The problem with latex is that it can be produced in an unsustainable way, without regard for the environment. This is where the Global Organic Latex Standard (GOLS) comes in.
Control Union, a leading international certification company, has played a pivotal role in the development of this new standard. Working closely with manufacturers and trade associations, Control Union has been able to slowly but surely build up the GOLS standard.
The standard is designed to ensure that latex products are made with organic materials and produced in a way that is safe for both workers, the environment, and the end user. The GOLS standard requires that latex products be made with at least 95% organic materials. The remaining 5% of materials can be either natural or synthetic but must be approved by the GOLS standard. All materials used in the production of latex products must be free of pesticides, herbicides, and other toxic chemicals. The production of latex products must also meet certain environmental standards. For example, factories must use energy-efficient production methods, and waste must be properly disposed of. The GOLS standard is voluntary, but many manufacturers of latex products have chosen to certify their products to the standard. The GOLS logo is a guarantee that a product has been certified to meet the highest standards for organic latex production.
TO BE CERTIFIED, LATEX PRODUCERS MUST MEET THE FOLLOWING CRITERIA:
- Harvesting. Latex must be sourced from certified organic plantations. The plantations must be certified by the USDA National Organic Program (NOP) in order to ensure that they have decreased the use of pesticides and chemical fertilizers. This is important for both the environment and the health of the people who will be using the latex products.
- Chemical Content. All products must have a minimum of 95% certified organic latex, which is the highest possible. The use of polymer and fillers is restricted in latex foam production, ensuring that products are made with only high quality, natural ingredients.
- Effect on the environment. GOLS certified products is also closely monitored. Latex foam must be processed and manufactured in GOLS-certified facilities. The certifying body inspects each step of the manufacturing process, from the sourcing of the latex foam to the disposal of waste. These measures decrease the risk of pollution and chemical residues in the environment, to ensure that the products are safe for both people and the planet.
- Fair Labor conditions. The GOLS certification requires that working conditions are safe and that workers are paid a fair wage, in accordance with the guidelines of the International Labour Organization (ILO). Child labor is not tolerated. Furthermore, the GOLS certification does not condone any discrimination in the workplace on the basis of race, caste, or any other criteria.
BENEFITS OF GOLS
The benefits of the GOLS standard are twofold. First, it ensures that latex products are made with safe and sustainable materials. Second, it provides consumers with a way to identify products that have been certified to meet the highest standards for organic latex production.